Monday, January 11, 2016

They say give love on Christmas day. No greater gift you can give to your self but to love it more.
So I decided to hop on an adventure behind mountains of Balakayo or popularly known as Sanchez Peak. Behind the breathtaking panorama of General Santos City is a hidden 7 falls known as Amsikung falls. Amsikung is a native term which means "hard to pass". An adventure of courage, self-satisfaction and freedom jam-packed, a gift I give to myself on Lenten season.

Preparation

First and foremost, solo climb is one of the toughest adventure you will ever dare to do. Why? Because no one’s there to help you when you’re in danger. So make sure you tell someone where you will be going, about your itinerary, so that if you will be missing for how many days they will know where to find your corpse (seriously its dangerous). 
2nd is knowing the place and ask someone who is been there. I ask our elder in our mountaineering group Baktas Msu about the place and what are the essential things I need. Some of the elders told me creepy stories about the place, one of the scariest place on earth for them (that is the reason why I want to go too).
3rd prepare your meal plan plus 1 more emergency meal. Food keeps you going and don’t bring not just ordinary food but FOOOODSSS FROM HEAVENS. You will be trekking alone and it will give you courage to finish the climb preferably you bring your favorite food. Count how many meals and how many expected meriendas you want to have, also include hot drinks on menu for cold weather to help you keep warm.
4th deciding what to bring, whether you will be on tent or an hammock it will be your choice, but as for me I am more comfortable in a hammock because it's light-weight, comfortable in sleeping and easy to pitch. Decide also what bag to bring, illumination, apparel, cooking stove and set, and camera.

The climb

Going to Sanchez peak via Balsinang trail
My climb is pretty easy for me because I’ve done this for 3 times but with a group. I started my trip at Purok Balsinang, Olympog, Gensan at 3pm and walked with haste, while on the trail I stopped on some of the best view for rest and relaxation. I arrived at Sanchez peak around 4:30pm and had a little chat with the caretaker. I rested there for 20minutes and continued my journey going down to the falls. As I walked on the cliff I’ve saw the sun is about to set, so I hurried up. I met people going up to Sanchez peak and we have some short chats and they were amazed to know that I’m going alone. They tried to stop me but my decisions are clear I’m going whatever happens. I walked for another 1 and half hour and saw a very fantastic view. Birds slept on bushes along the trail so as you walk nearby they just flow away. As you witness the dusk while birds flying on your sides is like wow, a once in a lifetime event. I have some problems with the trail because of the landslide. It took me another hour to pass by that terrain. I arrived at the river around 7:00 pm and it’s totally dark. I switch foot wear from shoes to sandals and continue walking. The terrain ahead is a bit of dangerous because you will undergo some wall climb and river treks. While walking, the only light that guides me is my headlamp. I walk none stop for an hour( because of adrenaline rush and some weird sounds) as I approach the first falls I feel happy and climb up the ladder beside the falls. When I arrived in the 2nd falls I take some time to rest and pray to God for the safe arrival. I rest for about 15mins and continue my journey. I arrived at the Blue lagoon around 8:30pm. A hurriedly pitch my hammock and fly. Then cook my meal.
Sanchez peak panoramic view of General Santos City

Mortal enemy on the road

Its sarcastic but I have many mortal enemy along the trail
1st on the list is the frogs that jumps on you and gives you a damn heart attack. As I trekked for more than an hour always been jumped off by the frogs. I finally get to know how to get rid of them. I notice that frogs eye glows when hit by light. So when I see glowing balls nearby or along my trail I use a stick for them to jump ahead or I throw them stones. In Amsikong where I found the biggest frog I've ever seen in my entire life. It is as big as an american rugby ball.
2nd enemy are the snakes, as I pitched my hammock I notice a moving rope. So as I light up the rope I ran away. It’s a snake, I throw pebbles at it and use stick to get rid of it. Until I sleep the snake was still instill on my mind. So I locked my body on the sleeping bag. That snake is my nightmare.
3rd weird sounds of animals, I find very peculiar to hear sound of unfamiliar animals. As I hear them I doubt if it is a animal or a aswang.

The stay

The stay is perfect, as I cooked my dinner which is oatmeal and a cup of hot Choco the moon is smiling on me. One of the best experience in my life. As I light a candle, the surroundings starts glowing. I’m in the abyss of what I call paradise. Around 9:30pm the moon is at its peak glowing reflection at the lagoon. I remember the song blue moon and I experience the once in a blue moon event but unfortunately alone, so maybe I will be alone forever according to legends. After eating I got near the lagoon and prayed to God once more. As I open my eyes I smiled and feel the sensation. I got naked while looking at the moon feeling the nature. And I lay down on the rocks and start charging my soul with positive energy. I wish my friends was here, my ex-girlfriend whispering words of love. I thought about my life and why I’m doing this stupid adventure all by myself, not to mention in the city they are celebrating while I’m here having my lonesome night. I thought about my goals, what I really want and what I really need. I imagine myself as a professional photographer and this damn adventure made me realize I want to experience and travel more like this. That night is one of the best night of my life, the best christmas. A night of realization, a night of self-seeking. As I lay on that rock for more than an hour I feel comfort more than my pillow and foam bed had given me. Naked with nature.
My view when i woke up

The Next Morning

As I open my eyes the next morning the scenery made me stuck-up on my hammock for about 20mins. The lagoon is there waiting to be bathed in and the falls is also there waiting for me to take a shower. I cooked some hotdogs and a hot Choco for breakfast. As I finish my meal I jump in the lagoon and swim naked enjoying God’s gift to mankind. After bathing I fell asleep once more and I feel some weird sensation. My eyelids won’t allow me to open my eyes. I fell asleep from 8am until 10:30am. Then I forced myself to wake up and pack my things. As I get my bag I glanced the lagoon for the last time, I whispered to it “thanks for the warm accommodation, until next time.”




Blue lagoon

hot choco on this wonderful scenery

free fish spa on lagoon


 

Going home


As I packed my things and decided to go home another adventures awaits. I decided to traverse to Cassava, Polomolok. The hardest trail is ahead of me. It is the trail that killed many fellow adventurer. You must wall climb beside the stone that is stocked between the walls. If ever you will fall down at the wall, a sharp stones awaits you so you must be careful in stepping. As I conquered the 1st wall climb another wall climb awaits you. You must pass about 10meters of wall climb. If ever you will fall down a two storey building equivalent down fall will be your next option plus sharp stones. While crossing these terrain without harness and with long pack approximately 20kgs, I found it hard to haste so I take it easily, one step at a time. After the wall climb and 15min river trek awaits you. After the cold sensation of river trekking, warm open canopy terrain awaits. An uphill climb under the sun welcomes you on a hot noon time. It is essential to drink water often coz it will cause you dehydration and heat stroke. I almost give up on this phase of the adventure and put my bag down. Because of the lonesome trip you find yourself talking to your bag and ask her if you two together can still pursue. After a minute of rehydration I continue walking for another 2 hours under the heat of scorching sun. The only thing that motivate me is the people I will meet after this adventure, my mp3 playlist and the panoramic view of Polomolok, its pineapple field and the Mt. Matutum. I passed through the pineapple fields and finish the whole adventure at exactly 2:00pm arriving at Cassava, Polomolok. Alone, happy and fulfilled. 

after the river trek this will be the next assault under the scorching heat of the sun
the dangerous rock climb

selfie while wall climbing


panoramic view of Polomolok


times when you just ask your bag if you will pursue this journey or not


wonderful view of Mt. Matutum


pineapple field of Cassava, Polomolok

Best refreshment after climb
here is a short video clips from my adventure

Next
Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment